Wednesday, January 4, 2012

When You Can't Get Up and Go...

Get up and grab a book.
Most days I can't drop what I'm doing and take off to travel, but I can find time for a good book. While reading may not be as active as world travel, it can be nearly as exciting. Books allow us to explore places we can't get to, time periods we can't live in, and things that may never happen. While there are a few adventure books I really love, there are so many more I want to read!

My next literary adventure will be into the Wild West in Mark Twain's Roughing It.
Reviews comment on the humor and the colorful characters typical of the author. I am interested to read it because it seems to me that half the fun of exploring is in the fascinating people we meet along the way.




I'd like to suggest a sort of out of the ordinary adventure book for you all to read. From the Ashes of Sobibor by Thomas Toivi Blatt is a true story of the author's internment and escape from the Sobibor extermination camp in Poland during the Holocaust. While the themes are not cheerful, the story twists and turns throughout many locations in occupied Poland. Toivi's luck and steadfastness make for wild excitement; thrilling escapes from near capture fill his story. Choosing to read this book is an emotional adventure in itself.


National Geographic has a great list of 100 adventure books. The list can be found here. Enjoy, and if you have any suggestions for travel or adventure books please share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment