Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First On My List

This past summer I heard about a place in Smoky Mountain National Park where you can watch lightening bugs glow in synchronization. It wasn't until I looked up pictures that I decided how badly I want to go.



During the beetles' mating season they begin to glow. Why the bugs glow in unison is unknown, making it all the more interesting to me. This phenomenon can be seen in Elkmont, TN and I definitely plan to go! The schedule is posted in April and the season lasts for two weeks in June. More information, rules and schedules are available here

If any of you know more about it, other locations it can be seen, or more about other bioluminescent critters please let me know. (Or about any other places I need to add to my bucket list!)

No comments:

Post a Comment